Its time to leave the avocado toast behind and take your toast experience to the next level with the little green protein machines – peas. Yes, peas. Fresh peas means the spring has arrived. And peas are so unassuming yet are humble powerhouses of nutrition. While this recipe is focused on the protein aspect, other nutrients include fiber and inflammatory phytonutrients .
For those looking for a non-bean or non-soy plant based protein source, this recipe is a great option. The sweetness of the green peas compliments the citrusy lemon, earthy cumin and fresh parsley. Whats best is that it literally takes 10 minutes to prepare (if you are using frozen peas, that is).
The best part about this recipe is that the mash can be prepared in advance. It can be as chunky or as smooth as you like. So for a quick on the go breakfast, all you need is a couple of slices of crisp toast, spread the mash on it, and top with your favorite toppings. It is that easy!
|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cook time||10 minutes|
- Green Peas – 1.5 cups (Fresh of frozen)
- Onions – 1 small, finely chopped
Spices & Herbs
- Roasted Jeera Powder (Cumin) – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 1 tsp, crushed
- Parsley – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt – As per taste
- Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp
- In a pan, add oil
- Once the oil heats up, add onions and garlic. Saute until the onions turn translucent
- Add the peas, salt and black pepper. Let the peas cook for 3-5 minutes until they become soft
- Add ground roasted cumin powder. Using a fork or the back of a wooden spatula, mash the peas. Mash the peas as per your desired consistency – chunky, or a complete mash. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add this point, you add a splash of water if the mixture is sticking to the pan
- Turn off the heat. Add chopped parsley and lemon juice
- Scoop a generous amount of the pea mash onto a crisp toast, spread and enjoy!
- For a kick of spice, add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes
- Top with sesame seeds or slivered almonds for a crunch
- Top with eggs the way you like them
You can also follow me on Instagram to be up-to-date with what is cooking my kitchen. If you like this recipe, do rate it and share your comments below. Don’t forget to post your version on Instagram using #foodformyloveblog.