Here is another soup that is perfect for the winters. Root vegetables, particularly roasted root vegetables are often my go-to during the winter months. And I had seen the Carrot and Fennel combos in winter salads. So, I decided to try this soup using that combo. The roasting of the vegetables caramelizes them and adds a deliciously sweet note to the otherwise savory and aromatic soup.
The star of this soup is the Fennel. I have never used Fennel. I have walked by it everytime at the Farmer’s Market but never picked it up, party because I would be put off with the thought of cutting such a large vegetable and not know how it tasted. But when I finally did pick it up, I figured out what it is all about and you can learn it too, right here 🙂
The preparation of this soup does not require a lot of effort, but it may require some time. I was using a small counter-top oven for roasting, but with a good quality oven, I would not imagine this recipe to take more than 45 minute, tops. It is completely vegan, in fact, in fact it does not use any type of milk. Just the vegetable, spices and homemade vegetable broth. For textural interest, I garnished it with roasted Sunflower Seeds.
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||45 minutes|
- Orange Carrots – 4 thick medium sized, chopped into large chunks
- Fennel – 1 (with stalk and fronds), chopped into large chunks
Nuts and Seeds
- Roasted Sunflower Seeds – 1 tbsp
Spices and Herbs
- Garlic Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp (Reduce for lesser spice)
- Salt – As per taste
- Fennel Fronds – 1 tsp
- Olive Oil – 2-3 tbsp
- Vegetable Broth – 1.5 cups
- Pre-heat oven to 425F (218C)
- Add the chopped fennel and carrot chunks to a mixing bowl. To this, add olive oil and all the spices. Mix well until all chinks are coated
- Line a tray with aluminium foil or parchment paper. Place the coated vegetables on the tray and spread out into an even layer. Roast the vegetables for 30-35 minutes or until they are tender and slightly charred
- After roasting and the vegetables have cooled down, add them to a blender. Add vegetable broth in small quantities while blending the soup so that the consistency can be controlled
- Add the blended soup to a pot and simmer for 5-10 minutes. During this time, adjust the spice and consistency as desired
- Pour a ladle of soup into a bowl. Garnish with fennel fronds and roasted sunflower seeds. Enjoy while it is hot
You can also follow me on Instagram to be up-to-date with what is cooking my kitchen. If you like this recipe, do rate it and share your comments below. Don’t forget to post your version on Instagram using #foodformyloveblog.
4 Comments Add yours
Looks like a lovely bowl of soup!
Thank you 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Great post 🙂
Thank you 🙂