“There are times when breakfast seems the one thing worth getting up for”
– Peter Dr Vries
I live by the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And this important meal sets the tone for the rest of the day. So it is very important that it is not only healthy, but delicious and enjoyable too.
Indian households rarely eat sweet items for breakfast, at least not sweet items solely. They are almost always accompanied with a savory main breakfast item. But, for a lot of us working folks, who have very little time (or skill!) for a morning breakfast but still need a tasty and nutritious breakfast, this is the one for you.
This Breakfast Apple Crisp comes together in about 30 minutes. It has the goodness of crisp Apples and nutritious Oats, together with warm spices like Ginger, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. It is like dessert for breakfast, but healthy 🙂
All you have to do is wake up in the morning, put it all together and put it in the oven before you go shower and get ready for work. When you get out of the shower, the house is going to smell so sweet and warm and the breakfast will be ready to eat or to be packed in a box to eat at your desk. This can even be prepared for the week and stored in an air-tight container. Just warm before use to enjoy the ooey-gooeyness.
This is a sweet, nutritious and filling breakfast that allows you to control the amount of added sugars. This is definitely a great change from the regular cereal and overnight oats. Enjoy it with a cup of morning coffee and you will be set for a great day of work.
|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cook time||25 minutes|
- Apple – 1, chopped into bite sized pieces
Grains and Flour
- Quick Rolled Oats – 3/4 cup
- All Purpose Flour – 2 tbsp
Spices and Flavors
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp (I used white sugar. Feel free to use packed brown sugar)
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- I have used Honeycrisp Apples because they are sweet and crispy, and they maintain their crispiness even after baking (And because they are my favorite variety). You can use any other variety of your choice, except Green Granny Smith Apples, simply because they have a sharper, tart flavor which is not desired for this recipe
- I have used regular white sugar. Feel free to use brown sugar or even try powdered jaggery
- You can replace oil with the same quantity of melted butter
- First preheat the oven to 375F (Approx. 190C)
- Then, make the oats crumble. For this, add oats, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, sugar and 1 tbsp flour to a mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside
- To another mixing bowl, add the chopped apples, honey, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tbsp flour. Mix well to coat the apples with the rest of the ingredients
- If making individual servings, take 2 separate ramekins or take 1 baking dish. Coat the surface with oil or melted butter
- Place a spoonful of the oat crumble at the bottom of the baking dish. Add a few spoonfuls of the apple mixture. Top with the remainder of the oat crumble
- Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes (Timing is dependent on the oven)
- Once baked, remove from the oven
- Drizzle with honey. Optionally, add toasted nuts or a dollop of Greek yogurt and enjoy!
You can also follow me on Instagram to be up-to-date with what is cooking my kitchen. If you like this recipe, do share your comments below. Don’t forget to post your version on Instagram using #foodformyloveblog.