Having grown up in the Middle East in Kuwait, Dates were a regular in our kitchen. They are healthy and oh so delicious. And frankly, they can be eaten straight or used in recipes in so many different ways.
Dates, although they are high in carbohydrates (mainly sugars i.e. glucose and fructose), they are:
- An incredible source of fiber
- A source of vitamin A and folate (A B vitamin)
- A source of minerals such as calcium and magnesium
So, these other benefits offset the high sugar content. Particularly, the high fiber content actually prevents a sugar spike and provides a slow and sustained release of energy. Which is why, I use this as an amazing pre-work out snack, which is what this recipe is.
Dates are perfect for snacking, and stuffing! So whether you need a pre-workout snack, a snack to get you through the afternoon slump or you want to jazz up your appetizer spread for your date night or next party, Dates are there for there you.
Make it tasty, make it fun, make this your snack 🙂
|Prep time||5 minutes|
- Mejdool Dates – 4 (pitted)
- Pistachios – 4 tbsp, chopped
- Coconut Flakes – 4 tbsp (sweetened or unsweetened)
- In a bowl, mix the chopped pistachios and coconut flakes
- Stuff the dates
- Enjoy! 🙂
Alternative stuffing combos
- Almond butter and coconut flakes
- Goat cheese and a sprinkle of paprika
- Salted caramel and chocolate chips
- Goat cheese and pistachips
You can also follow me on Instagram to be up-to-date with what is cooking my kitchen. If you like this recipe, do share your comments below. Don’t forget to post your version on Instagram using #foodformyloveblog.